Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Dignity - Portrait from Hamedan


While walking in the back alleys of the traditional bazaar (market place) of Hamedan, I saw this old man just standing near a wall. I asked him if I can take a photo of him and with a faint movement of head he responded positively. After taking the photo I asked him how old was he and he responded 90. Then he said, "Whenever you say your prayers, pray for my death". I was shocked, so I asked him why. He, with his tired and old voice, said that he cannot bear a life without dignity anymore. This conversation deeply affected me so I had to post this photo and this conversation here.

Unfortunately poverty affects many people around the world. It is really sad to see people who lived a life with dignity, never asked for money from anyone and always worked honestly, falling to poverty because of economical problems and high inflation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment