Pages

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

William Albert Allard

It has been a while since my last post. I was sick and I am currently busy writing my thesis and lots and lots of things to keep me away from here. Recently, I have been looking at lots of works from William Albert Allard, one of the greatest National Geographic photographers. I borrowed his book "Vanishing Breed" from the library. This book contains lots of great photographs about the ''Cowboy" culture. His photographs are a must see for a person who is interested in photography. Strong compositions which shows his great awareness of shapes and great light in his photos are amazing. He says in one of his interviews that he had more painting books than photography books. Another important aspect of his work is that most of his work is in color. He has mastered the shapes, light, and colors and as a result he can play with them so easily in his photos.



Having said that, his photographs are like old paintings. I do not know paintings from what era. I have never been in art school nor studied different eras in painting. However, I can say that his style can be easily mistaken as paintings. I think he inspired me a lot. I am putting some of his work here.

1 comment: